In the early 1950s the idea of a golf course in Arizona's White Mountains started taking shape. Southwest Forest Industries wanted a recreational area for their executives working in McNary, then a bustling mill town. In 1954 the U.S. Forest Service set aside a large swath of beautiful forestland in what is now White Mountain Summer Homes. That same year the White Mountain Golf Club was organized, and the first board of directors was elected. Stock was offered at $180 a share and by May 1955, there were 234 founding members, which included teachers, postmasters, salesmen, clerks, physicians and businessmen.
The first nine holes of the golf course and the clubhouse were built in 1956 through the volunteer efforts of club members, tapping into resources offered by Southwest Forest Industries and loaned equipment. The frugal effort impressed the Forest Service, which opened 70 lots for home leasing. Four years later the second nine holes opened and more lots became available for lease. Membership increased to $500 and the name changed to White Mountain Country Club.
Since our humble beginnings, White Mountain Country Club has evolved into a premier destination for golf and other recreation in the White Mountains, where our members feel a sense of comfort and pride of ownership. We have hosted hundreds of events, inspired young children to take up the game of golf and forged thousands of friendships and memories. We are truly a retreat in the pines like no other.